Nutritionally sound, tried and tested by yours truly.
Here are 11 great low calorie healthy snack ideas to stave off the hungries until meal time. Regular mini meals or snacks can help regulate blood sugar, improve metabolism, and prevent overeating later. The secret to a successful snack is to keep the calorie count low. Your snack is not your main meal and should not contain more than 300 calories.
1. Half an apple with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Half an apple has 63 calories and 1 Tbsp of natural peanut butter has 94 calories and 8 grams of fat
2. 10 carrot sticks with 2 tablespoons of dip
- Two Tbsp of creamy veggie dip is about 132 calories
3. Popcorn - Two 100 calorie bags
- Popcorn is a whole grain
4. 10 Baked torilla chips with a half cup of salsa
- The chips have about 120 calories and the salsa about 42 calories
5. Half of a Whole Wheat pita and 1/4 cup of hummus
- The pita runs about 85 calories and the hummus has 93
6. Apple with string cheese
- A stick of low-fat string cheese is between 60-80 calories and a medium apple is approximately 126 calories
7. 1/2 an English Muffin and 2 Tablespoons of Cream Cheese
- The muffin has 64 calories and the 2 Tbspns of cream cheese has 99
8. 1/4 cup of almonds, cashews or pistachios
- Almonds have 155 calories, cashew - 157 and pistachios have 170.
9. 1/2 cup of sorbet or sherbert
- Most sherberts are about 140 calories for a 1/2 cup and the sorbet can range from 80-200 calories depending on the flavor option
10. 6 ounces of plain Greek yogurt with strawberries
- about 100 calories
11. Sandwich thin with turkey
- Sandwich thins are about 100 calories and a 3 ounce serving of turkey has only 60 calories PLUS 12 grams of protein